
On Tuesday, I heard Jonathan's bus pull up to our house and so I quickly put Lauren down on the boppy on the couch. I unlocked the door and rushed outside to meet Jonathan at the curb. We were walking back to the house, Jonathan was telling me about his day at school, and then he stopped and asked, "Mom, is the door locked?" I said, "No..." My heart started to beat a little faster as I tried the doorknob. Well, you guessed it, I locked the door instead of unlocking it, and I did not have the keys with me!!!! CRAP!!! (I hope this word does not offend anyone, but it was exactly how I felt). I proceeded to turn the doorknob franticly and push on the door as if I had super-human powers, and the door would give in. Then, I took Jonathan's bus pass off of his backpack and tried to pop the lock through the door frame that did not work either. I went around to the back hoping that I did not have the pole in the sliding glass door frame. I yanked on the slider and sure enough the pole was in, and it wasn't budging. During this whole process, Jonathan kept asking, "Do we need to call Maggie's dad?" (Sidenote: Yes, we have locked ourselves out before. Back in September, Janis and I were headed to Jonathan's Back to School Night. Janis walked out with Jonathan without his keys; I shut the door without my keys thinking Janis had the keys. NOPE! Maggie, a friend from our ward, came and picked us up and took Janis and I to Jonathan's preschool. Jonathan played at their house. Afterwards, Ted, Maggie's HUSBAND, took us home and got us back into our house by using one of his tall ladders. Yes, the Ostler's saved the day for us.) Jonathan obviously remembers this experience and knew that Maggie's dad, who is really Maggie's HUSBAND, could help us. There was no way that I was calling the Ostler's to help us out of this one; I would be too embarrassed. We went to a neighbor's and borrowed her phone. I called Janis and asked him to come home and unlock the door for us. Luckily, Janis' work is just 10 minutes away. While we waited, we went around to the back so I could check on Lauren and make sure that she was ok. Poor Lauren. She was on the couch crying and no one was there to help her. Trying to make the best out of the situation, I decided to water our plants on the patio and take the clothes out of the dryer. Multi-tasking is essential to my sanity. Before we knew it, Janis was inside comforting Lauren. Jonathan and I went back around to the front and went inside. Jonathan said, "Dad, thanks for letting us borrow your keys!" Yes, Dad was our superhero for the day! I have to say that I have lost most of my brain since having kids! Hopefully one day I will find it again...


7 comments:
My oh My! That is quite a story! I'm sure glad everything worked out ok in the end!
As far as losing brain function with the birth of your children....so true. It gets worse with every one. Imagine how shot mine is after nine...:0(
One more thing, I can't believe that Jonathan gets to ride a bus to preschool...how lucky is that? I bet he loves it!
When Aleks was 3, she started telling people she was 5 because she wanted to ride the school bus so badly.
Oh my gosh, you're not alone Jenn!! Isn't that Jonathan a smart boy!!
I've done that too. Luckily both kids were with me. I ended up crawling through the window. How scary for you.
And this, Jennifer, is just more evidence of why I adore you so much. Maybe if you witnessed Lauren falling off the couch or if Jonathan fell off the patio into the lake or if Janis couldn't come home right away because he was auditioning for a body-building competition - maybe then the story would've been complete. But even so, it's perfect just the way it is. lol.
That totally reminds me of the time you came over so we could watch Jonathan, and while I came out to get you, CAdence locked the door on us...oh my gosh I was so embarassed and I told Bart, I don't think she will ever let me watch Jonathan again!! (And you did!!!) But still, I hate the gut feeling of a helpless situation. I am glad Janis works so close to home!! We look forward to seeing you Sunday and celebrating with you!!
Oh yeah, and I totally remember not being able to wait until the girls could play together, don't worry, it will come faster than you think!!!
Love, Nicole
oh, wow Jenn--how scary for you. That 'skipping of a heartbeat' due to concern of you child's safety is a terrible feeling. But, now that it is over---this is one of those stories that you will always remember and be able to look back at and laugh. So glad everything worked out all right and that Janis was close by.
That's a great story! We could totally have fun swapping "I'm stupider than you" stories! I have a million of them! It's good you could see Lauren on the couch or else you probably would have clawed through the door!
Post a Comment